Man at His Best

Why You Should Never Eat Off Wooden Platters In Restaurants

It may be trendy, but it's not always safe.

BY Dusty Baxter-Wright | Jan 29, 2018 | Food & Drink

All images from Getty.

Thanks to Jamie Oliver (a man responsible for most of the food-based dramas in this country's history), it's hard to go into a restaurant these days without being served your food on anything other than a plate.

Whether that's chips in a plant pot, scampi in a mini supermarket cart or a full breakfast still in the pan, basically anything goes.

Image from Getty

But with that said, the Birmingham City Council in England has urged customers to be careful what they're eating off of, warning "wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them."

Their advice comes as a restaurant was fined £50,000 (appx SGD92,488) for serving food on unhygienic wooden boards and putting the health of their customers at risk, per The Independent.

They report a party of 14 were allegedly left with food poisoning after dining at the restaurant, and that after serving the owners with restaurant improvement notices, the Council returned two months later only to find that the same unhygienic wooden plates were still being used to serve food.

Image from Getty

Though it's worth noting the Food Standards Agency says there isn't strong evidence to suggest that wooden chopping boards are less hygienic than plastic ones, provided they're cleaned properly after use. Still, it's good to be aware of.

From: Cosmopolitan UK


COMMENTS