13 'crazy girlfriends' tell their side of the story
You might have just been a jerk to her, man.
BY HANNAH SMOTHERS | Feb 10, 2016 | Sex & Relationships
Bad men have a cool habit of calling women "crazy" over the tiniest things. In fact, men calling women "crazy" or referred to, post-relationship, as a "crazy ex-girlfriend" is so common that there's an actual television show about it. Bottom line: Not a good idea, fellas.
A recent ask thread on Reddit gave women who've been called "crazy girlfriends" a chance to tell their side of the story, which is both a great method of catharsis and a great way for guys to see how irrational they (might be) acting. Here are 13 highlights from the thread.
1. "My mom died. You broke up with me at her funeral. I feel like I was a tiny bit justified." —eyejustloveit
2. "In October of last year I had a miscarriage. I cried for the first two nights and on the third one my boyfriend said it was time to start getting over it. Here I am thinking we're in the same boat and seeing him as my strength to only hear him say 'Get over it.' Gawd it destroyed me. He said it was because he didn't want to face it and seeing me like that was a constant reminder but I truly lost so much respect for him after that." —MissPookieOokie
3. "The fucker had about 1000.00 worth of my Blu Rays in his place, and I'll be damned if I wasn't going to blow up his phone numerous times a day until he fucking answered and gave them back to me." —angelinabobina
4. "If you try to put something in my mouth that I don't want there, for any reason, I'm going to bite it." —peachpopcycle
5. "I had an undiagnosed mental disorder and didn't understand how to handle emotions appropriately." –LunaticalPitties
6. "He cheated on me with my best friend of eight years. I was so devastated. The worst part was that they didn't seem to care. They just shrugged their shoulders. I couldn't wrap my head around what I'd done to deserve it, why they weren't remorseful in the slightest. I didn't have anyone to vent to so it just built up inside me, so I spent a year trying to rebuild my friendship with my ex bestie, then I invited her to a sleep over, just like old times. We put on some hair masks that are supposed to condition your hair, but I filled hers with hair removal cream. She lost all her hair that was originally down past her waist, except for about 2 inches on the very top. I saw her in a store about a month ago after not seeing her for four years, and she's kept it short ever since." —MaybeUmaThurman
7. "He was controlling and abusive. He had separated me from my family and friends and was pushing me (a very religious and socially conservative girl) into a sexual relationship I was not ready for. I started having panic attacks after sexual encounters before I literally ran away to Alaska (I was 18 at the time). He told everyone I knew that I was insane and had stolen a bunch of his stuff for drug money. Fun times." —LifeCrisisKate
8. "My ex posted pictures on Facebook of a girl wearing the sweatshirt I bought him. When I called him out on it, he quickly deleted the photo and called my a psycho. He literally tried to convince me I was crazy, until I showed him the picture I took of that picture on my phone. He then said that he posted that picture because they had the same sweatshirt and it was such a big coincidence! Too bad that sweatshirt was from Goodwill for a football team at a random high school all the way across the country. With the same jersey number on the back. He then tried to tell me I was a psycho jealous bitch. Until I told him to cut the shit and he admitted to cheating on me with her multiple times. This guy was another kind of stupid." —pharmaSEEE
9. "After three years he broke up with me via text. I sent him bull testicles so he could see what balls actually looked like. I mean someone had to show him what he was missing." —citynewbie11
10. "When things started to go south, I tried to communicate and get through whatever was going on (everything was going bad and I couldn't figure out why). He wouldn't talk about it and kept being an asshole so I broke it off. That's it. Homeboy still swears up and down I'm crazy." —hannahnowhere
11. "My ex strangled me so I broke up with him. Months later I saw him at the mall with his new girlfriend, a spitting image of myself. I walked up, introduced myself, told her he strangled me and to watch out for his telltale emotionally abusive signs and then poured my full cup of Dr. Pepper on him. Lol." —sn00zy
12. "I met a guy at a class we took, we hit it off and started going out. I found out he was cheating on me with two girls, one of which was pregnant with his baby. I tried breaking up with him, which made him to lose control of the car and crash but he told everybody I took ahold of the wheel and crashed us into the side of the road." —Bred_m
13. "I just really loved him. He didn't love me back." —tricksters
First published in Esquire US.